Saturday, March 8, 2014

Best Low Carb Bread


Prep time: 15min
Cook time: 45-55min
Author: Maria Emmerich

My friend, Kristen M, made me this bread this last week when we were grieving the miscarriage of our twins.  It's amazing to have a friend who eats the same way just bring me this amazing dinner without me having to go through what I do and don't eat. She put these little mini loaves in with the chicken noodle soup and needless to say, I am hooked. I ate all 4 of her loaves and now I've made the recipe 2 more times.  I will say that it is quick to make but it is easy to get different results. Maria suggests that you weigh your ingredients (I don't have a scale, so I'm just really careful at leveling off my measuring utensils)  I have used coconut flour and egg white variations but am looking forward to trying her almond flour variation.  My favorite thing to do with this bread is to eat it with grass-fed butter (yes, y'all, it tastes different!) or butter it up and fry up a grilled cheese sandwich with raw aged NY cheddar from Trader Joe's.  

To my fellow Paleoneons/SCDers, this bread has not seemed to bother me with the psyllium powder or baking powder.  I bought baking powder that is non-GMO and gluten free.  Also, here is an article on psyllium husk/powder (yes, it makes a difference which one) as I was not that familiar with it. Read up! 

I also wanted to mask the coconut flour flavor, so I added some of my favorite seasonings to the dry mixture before you add in the wet ingredients. 

Suggested Spice Blend: 
1t Dried Oregano 
1t Dried Basil 
1/4t Garlic Powder (or you could do Onion)
1/4t Chili powder
Pinch of Ground Cayenne 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about the husk/powder thing-good to know!

    ReplyDelete