Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pecan Pie (GAPS and SCD Legal)


Prep time: 30min
Cook time: 25min plus 35-40min
Yields 1 pie - however many servings is up to you! ;) 

Crust Ingredients: 
1C Blanched Almond Flour
1/4C Coconut Flour
1/2t Salt 
2 Eggs
2T Honey
Butter to grease pie pan 

Crust Instructions: 
Pre-heat the oven to 375F.  Mix dry ingredients and get all lumps out of flour.  Mix eggs and honey in a small bowl and then mix with dry ingredients to form dough. Grease pie pan with butter thoroughly.  Press pie dough up the sides about half way. If you get the crust too high, it will burn when cooked with the filling later. Cook pie crust at 375F for 5min to cook the crust a bit before the filling goes in. 


Filling Ingredients:
1 1/2C Honey
3 Eggs
1t Vanilla 
5T Melted Butter
1/2t Salt (if butter is unsalted, only 1/4t if butter is salted)  
1t Cinnamon 
2C Crispy Pecans (To make crispy pecans, simply put raw pecans on a pan and cook in preheated oven at 225F for 25min) 


Filling Instructions: 
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl except for pecans. I used a whisk but you could use a hand mixer as well. After well mixed, gently fold in pecans and pour into pie pan on top of your pie crust. Bake for another 35-40min. Check it at 35min. You will want the filling to set, but the middle will be giggly.  Cool pie and serve at room temperature or slightly warm. 



5 comments:

  1. Looks like a real pecan pie! Yummy. I did want to say that I thought that an essential part of crispy nuts was soaking them with salt prior to dehydrating or baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I made this pie this evening. It was very simple to put together and smelled delicious baking.

    My only complaint was the cooking time/temperature. The recipe doesn't specify to change the temperature after baking the crust at 375, so I left it there.
    I set the timer for 30 minutes, and checked it at 25... only to find a completely blackened top. It was not smelling burned at all, and when I checked it at 20 minutes it looked barely cooked at all. So in five minutes it went from nothing to completely black.
    Possibly it's my oven, but not sure. Just and FYI to keep a close eye on it. :o)

    P.S.
    I think I managed to save it by carefully scraping off the top burnt layer of nuts/crust. I then drizzled the top with honey and covered with some crushed toasted pecans.
    Won't know if it's any good until tomorrow (Thanksgiving!). Hopefully my family will be forgiving if its not. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this pie (three of them) last year and it was amazing! Making it again this Thanksgiving:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made this. YUMMY!!!! Thank you so much. I've been struggling to stay with the SCD even though I can tell it's really helping my colitis. Having great desserts that I can eat makes it possible.
    One note on preparation....I put the dough in the fridge for a few minutes while making the filling so that it would be less sticky and easier to pat into the pan. Also, after reading another comment about how the nuts burned at 375, I baked at 325 for about half an hour and then, since the inside had not totally gelled but it was very brown on top, I let the pie sit in the oven at 200 for a while after that (probably 45 minutes). Worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the baking temperature tip, Anonymous! I'm going to try it!

      Delete